Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 50. S M T W TH F S

Well my nurse friend emailed me yesterday after she read my blog entry to ask if I had talked to my doc about taking St Johns Wart with the prozac. I reassured her that I had and that I also talked to the pharmacy tech too. But then I thought about it, and I was wrong. I talked to the them about taking st johns wart with the Imuran when i first went on it. So now I've stopped taking the st johns wart until I talk to the doc again. Her concern is Serotonin Syndrome which apparently can be a bad deal.

I have a pill box. It has S M T W TH F S on it with a container for each day of the week (it's not rocket science) At first I thought this was supposed to help me remember to take my pills but it's become obvious that it helps me more with remembering what day of the week it is. At the beginning of each week the little boxes are filled with a cocktail of pills and vitamins, unfortunately the lids are getting hard to shut, I may need to get a bigger S M T W TH F S thingy.

I started on my higher dose of Imuran yesterday. 100 mg's (two whole pills) in the morning and 75mg's (one and a half pills) at night. The only meds I take at night are the 75mg's of Imuran (one and a half pills) well last night I opened the M box, tossed the left over pills from that day into my mouth, swallowed and walked away. Then realized that I had popped 2.5 pills not 1.5. Shit! What was the extra pill? Maybe a Colchicine or an additional 50mg Imuran!?!?! After I panicked, I called the 24 hour pharmacy and got reassurance that even if it was another 50mg Imuran I would probably be okay but to just pay attention to any changes in my body and call 911 at the first sign of something strange. I didn't have any problems and was able to finally fall asleep about midnight.

Lesson for the day:

PAY ATTENTION TO YOU'RE MEDS EVEN IF THEY ARE PREVIOUSLY RATIONED OUT IN YOUR LITTLE CONTAINERS.

What an idiot!!!

2 comments:

  1. I did that once with Prednisone when I was on 60mg daily. It didn't kill me but everyone was watching me like a bomb that had the blue cord cut but was still ticking. No explosions though I was fine.

    I tried rationing but the pill boxes were not big enough unless I get the ginormous grandpa pack that has a pill section for like five times during the day. So I stuck with daily separation. I am down to 22 pills a day so it isn't too bad. Of course I am in the waiting line for the next experimental treatment to put me on so I may have to get the grandpa box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hated the Prednisone treatments I've done. The last one was a 5 day in an attempt to get rid of a really nasty oral ulcer flare. On day two I was climbing the walls. It was ridiculous and a complete waste of time because although the ulcers went away they came back 3 days after I stopped the treatment. An extra dose of that would have sent me spinning like a top. I can completely understand all the worry for you. I bet your wife was following you around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete