Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 43... 5 minutes to live

Yesterday I referenced a website www.butyoudontlooksick.com. Today I thought I'd share a funny story about the first time I heard "but you don't look sick".

I was at the nail salon treating myself to a pedicure. I was chatting with Judy who has been my pedi lady for many years. She asked me why I wasn't pregnant yet and I tried to give her the quick version; sick, meds, no baby for a year. Being the stubborn and ridiculously feisty Vietnamese woman that she is (and my friend for many years) she didn't accept my answer so I explained further; Behcet's Disease, lungs, auto immune, bla bla bla. Her initial response was the look of death. After I convinced her that she wasn't going to contract Behcet's from touching my feet and I wasn't going to infect her clientele, she said 'it', the famous; "but you don't look sick". It's like something that happens in the movies. She said those exact words in her vietnamese accent and everything "but you don't look sick".

I've read and heard other 'sick people' say that people say it all the time. But until someone actually says it to you you almost don't believe them. I wasn't even sure how to respond to her. What I wanted to say was "Well Judy I am. In fact I only have 5 more minutes to live, I may just drop dead right here on your salon floor" I restrained and just chuckled to myself and smiled.

Sorry to crap on your bliss everyone but I am sick, believe it or not.

2 comments:

  1. Funny, very funny. I had a kid sit on the complete other end of the dinner table from me because he heard I had this strange disease and he was afraid that he would get it. I told him he could only get it if he swam in my gene pool. By which he gave me a confused look. I said, "someone peed in it a long time ago" He laughed and lightened up after that.

    ReplyDelete