Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 21. More Needles

Start at "Day 1. Drugs and Boobas"

Today I got my blood drawn again. This was a pre-CT scan blood draw, I'm guessing it's to see how my blood will react to the dye they'll be injecting into my veins. I have another blood draw at the end of the week for my bi weekly liver check. My elbow pits were just starting to look normal too. I don't mind the draws but I don't care for the bruises they leave. I was talking with the woman that took my blood and was joking with her about how I was starting to look a bit like a junky. She said it's nothing compared to some and it's really sad when they tie their own tourniquet and tell you where your best luck is going to be. Life could be worse.

I'm personally not a fan of synthetic hormones or hormone supplements and haven't been on birthcontrol in many years, but after a lot of thought and discussion we've decided to get on them again. I opted for the Depo-Provera shot every 12 weeks, this is a progesterone only contraceptive and it's 99.7% effective. The thought of getting pregnant while I'm on the Imuran really scares me, it can cause serious birth defects. Yes, I know. There are other contraceptive options but those can be annoying and uncomfortable so hormone injections are the way of life for us right now.

PS. Did you know they give you the Depo injection in your rump? I haven't had a shot in my butt since I was immunized as a child. As far as pain goes it was better then any shot I've ever had in my arm. I think I'll ask for my flu shots to be in my rump next time. Although, I'm not sure you can get flu shots when you're on immunosuppresants, another question for the doc.

Had lunch with my Mom after labs and injection, it was nice. I also went to the Monday Cardio/Conditioning Class this morning. It kicks my butt and I'm pretty sure the instructor smokes crack before she teaches the class, her energy is out of this world. I was able to keep moving for the entire 75 minutes this time, not quite as fast or as much as the other people in the class but I didn't quit before it was over so that's a plus.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when they found my blood infection i got two shots of antibiotics in the arse and it hurt like hell. it felt like i was sitting on two golf balls. different drugs absorb at different rates....good luck with that

    ReplyDelete