Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 12. History Lesson #4

You may want to start at Day 1 Drugs and Boobas if you are new to this blog.

History Lesson #4

October 2007:

After the flu, the brain tumor and the herpes came the explosion of canker sores (oral ulcers). I've always thought they started right before I became pregnant with my second daughter Lucy, but now the more I think about it it seems they may have started when I actually became pregnant. They were horrible, I've never had them as bad as that flare before. I had to sleep with my mouth open with a towel under my head because it was too painful to swallow my saliva or shut my mouth. My tongue swelled up and my mouth was riddled with open ulcers. This happened when I didn't have health insurance so I went to a community health clinic and saw a Nurse Practitioner. She was young and had no idea what was going on but suspected that it was virus. The ulcers continued throughout my pregnancy. About 4 months into my pregnancy (I had insurance again) I went to Oral Medicine at the University of Washington. This is where I heard the term "autoimmune" in reference to my condition for the first time. After explaining my other issues to the doctor I was told I should see a Rheumatologist. (I love the UW)

I was in remission for about 8 months (Aug '09-March '10). 5 of those months I was pregnant with my third daughter, Pearl (another post). Remission TEMPORARILY ended about a month ago. The good thing is that I know I'm capable of going into remission.

I don't have serious joint issues like many others with Behcet's. I have aching in my big toes on occasion and back ache from time to time.

Last spring (2009) I got a rash on my arms, it resembled the rash I used to get on my legs. It was on the inside of both my forearms it itched and was red and swollen. It lasted for about 2 weeks. I probably had canker sores at the same time since I hadn't gone into remission yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment