Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 85. Confused and lost

Went to see my Rheumie today. Our conversation didn't exactly go as planned. It never really does. I explained to him that I want to come off the meds in October to become pregnant and he looked at me like I had three heads. He suggested I stay on them for the pregnancy rather then come off. My last labs came in with a low WBC and he wants me to lower my daily dose of Imuran to 150. I left the appointment at a complete loss, went to my friends house and had a good cry. I just wish someone would tell me exactly what to do. I've spent some time praying for answers and direction today. Also sent the following email to Yazici in New York;

Hi Dr Yazici, I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I've been on the high dose of Imuran (175/day) now for about a month. My labs have all looked good except for the last white blood count which was 3.8. My Rheumie here wants me to go down to 150/day for concern of Leukopenia. Do agree with this?

I am also very anxious to come off the meds in October after my next PFT. I will have only been on them for 6 months at that point but I would like to try and get pregant sooner then later. I underdstand that the ideal Imuran treatment period is 2 years and that I may need to start on the medication again after we have a baby. My Rheumie here doesn't like the idea of me coming off the meds for pregnancy and has suggested that I stay on them. He is concerned that my lungs will become worse. My Pulmonologist doesn't seem that concerned. I reallly need some direction. I'm feeling really confused and lost. What do you think I should do? Thank you for any advice you can give me and I wouldn't be surprised if I receive a bill in the mail for your response... ;)

Sincerely,

Annie Van De Grift

No comments:

Post a Comment